|« Misuba vs 2009||The Blues on Native Americans »|
The Signal: EP060 - I am so happy with this mix, folks, seriously. I started with just a big pile of music and then it all fell together into a thematic roughly-45-minute musical accompaniment to any occasion that includes drowning. Damn it's cold in this apartment. So yeah, music about dying, cold and wet. Winter is here and it needs a soundtrack.
The mix will be available for a limited time only. The tracklist is included in the id3 tags because I don't want this mix to be Google bait. This is for you and me, baby, the world can stay out of this. I have some notes after the cut, but they're not necessary to enjoy the mix. This is primarily because music is good enough on its own and does not need additional words from me, but additional words are there if you want them.
What else do you need to know.
1. So we start off with dreams of the ocean, dragging us down. The surface seems so far away!
2. And all the names and numbers and facts we've collected for a lifetime come bubbling up.
3. Oh, and then some great music happens. If you want to shoehorn the theme, uh, maybe our unnamed musical thematic protagonist is thinking about family?
4. *shrug* Look, forget the theme for now. We're now just going with a musical mood. We'll get back to it later.
5. I have a lot of spoken word material. And it rarely gets used. So... here was a chance. AND I TOOK IT.
6. From a videogame soundtrack. Fun game. And the name of the track (and the activity that goes with it in the game) matches the lead-in. See? It all comes together. (Okay, I wanted to put this track in anyway, so it came before the lead-in spoken word stuff. THIS IS HOW SAUSAGE IS MADE.)
7. It's not a Signal mix without a kinda odd cover version, right? So here you go.
9. Heart-breaking. Also, gorgeous.
10. How do you like that? See the thematic link between the last track and this one? Plus the track came with a built-in segue. COME ON, this is the 60th mix! I'm getting pretty damn good at this!
11. Here we're returning a bit to the theme... wishful thinking for our thematic protagonist.
12. & 13. I put these two tracks together myself! And they lined up beautifully! A lucky break! Plus: the spoken word? It's opening lines from Dante, multiple translations. Entering the afterlife. IT'S THEMATIC! And it sounds awesome.
14. And we close how we opened in two senses. In the first, we're back to drowning. In the second, we opened with a composition by this person. Normally, I don't like to repeat artists, certainly not in the same mix. But the two pieces are quite distinct. What's my excuse for tracks 3 & 4 then? I dunno. I don't have one. It's atypical, that's all I know.
Yup, yup, yup.
Oh hey, sneak preview for Signal fans: pretty soon we'll have another collaboration with Emcee Child, who you may remember from our massive EP050 mix. We've got big plans! So stay tuned! Or make your RSS reader stay tuned! Or your little brother! I'm not picky.
Look, do whatever you like.
If you see a guy (or girl) you like, just grab 'em in the biscuits.
... Wait, that's not my advice, that's advice from Humpty Hump. Who I don't consider an expert on social behavior. Ignore that last bit.