|« Girl Talk: All Day||The Signal: EP071 »|
The Signal: EP072 - A baby theme is briefly explored, then abandoned. Music! Fun cover versions! A wide variety of styles to amaze and surprise even the most jaded of hearts.
The usual: Read the id3 tags for a track list. Limited time only for the download. Notes are below.
1. I think this edited/reworked thing works out pretty well. Had this intro ready for weeks before I finally figured out what I could actually follow it with.
2. Baby theme! Here we go!
3. Nothing about babies in this one. I just really like the song, both this remix and the original, which featured on an earlier mix. This was probably the song I heard that prompted me to think "Hey, I haven't made a Signal mix in awhile. And people need to hear this."
4. Wait. This isn't about babies either. It's a Signal favorite: a cover version that's pretty far from home. A Marco Polo world traveler of a cover. The original was a jazz tune. I bet you knew that.
5. There's a mention of a "baby" in here, as a term of endearment. Another fun cover version! These guys have had a long career, but this is the first I've heard of them. Which is probably why they did it.
6. Nothing about a baby. Just a great dubstep instrumental. Sometimes I worry that people will get bored with a longer dubstep track, so I drop some vocals on 'em from my spoken word collection, but I didn't think this one needed it. So maybe in a future mix you'll hear my collection of American slang being read out for the military, or an interview about brainwashing.
7. Another song I've been digging recently, even more so since seeing a live version. With this band, I find that seeing the songs performed live is a big help in fully appreciating them, and that's rare. Normally I don't care so much for the live performance sound.
8. They got this song on Rock Band, which helped me notice it. Have had the album for awhile, but you know... with all the weird-for-a-rock-song rhythms, it's a pretty interesting track! Perfect song for high schoolers dealing with ex-girlfriends and their new boyfriends for the first time.
9. And so from worrying about new boyfriends to wishing for a new one! How ya like THAT little thematic through-line, huh? Pretty happy with that one.
10. We've heard the horns in the instrument half of this mash-up in a previous Signal mix. EP013! Remember that one? (Probably you don't. It was ages ago.) It was also used by "Dean Gray." So maybe you know it from that.
11. For some reason, the metallic ring of the opening-- notes, I guess they are?-- really works for me.
12. Cowboy music from Japan. Pretty awesome.
13. Sure, we heard a cover of this song in EP063. And a cover of the same artist in the last EP. It's still a great song. Not my fault the world is full of good covers.