|« The Signal: EP083||The Signal: EP081 »|
The Signal: EP082 - You may have noticed that the increasingly rarely used signalstation.com domain has shifted around a bit. Now that most of my blogging occurs over at my Google+ account, this domain is just becoming a repository for the occasional music mixes I make for our amusement. Speaking of which, here's a new one, just in time for 2012.
The file is only available for a limited time, track listing is in the id3 tags, notes are below. Hey, maybe this will be the year when the Y2K problem finally hits! Does everyone have their survival kits ready?
1. Had a heck of a time starting this mix. Had an idea to start with track 9 at one point, but it just wasn't working out. What sometimes works is to find out how someone else started an album, and take their idea. So that's what I did here.
2. New album out! Plus, it was cheap in digital format! Sweet!
3. Heard this on the local Berkeley radio. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the rest of their stuff sounds this good. Which is a shame. Would have been nice to have another local band to root for. (I think they're out of Oakland, if memory serves, but I don't care enough to search in another window, so take my word for it.)
4. From an Xbox game, actually.
5. It's been awhile since a fun cover version has been in a Signal mix.
6. So much good stuff from this band. Hard to pick.
7. Pretty much the perfect dirty, fuzzy guitar blues sound. This song has a sound that I have to assume will convince people they should learn to play an instrument. When Plato was depressed, this song was the song he heard echoing off the stone walls of his cave of forms, I bet.
8. From a different Xbox game. I've been playing more video games than listening to new music, is part of why the delay since the last mix.
9. Yup. This was almost the lead track and I really like it, but it didn't quite have the feel to start a mix.
10. Forro! It's like zydeco, but with Portuguese instead of French.
11. & 12. A paired set, thematically.
13. Happened to be the perfect length to close the mix, plus it's a nice closing song.
So there's that!